2014-06-22

Intake airbox

As I wrote in the previous post the track noise regulations in Sweden has become much harder lately. The current limit is 95 dBA drive-by measured from a 10 m distance.

I've fitted a Raceco silencer and now a Pipercross PX600 airbox. Now the car is much more quiet - huge difference! I can't even hear the revs because of the wind. A quick drive-by test with a cheap china noise meter gave 96-97 dBA but after glueing on some insulation material on the airbox the readings dropped to between 94 and 96 dbA on the most important intake side of the car.

On the exhaust side the noise level is 101 dbA and still too high. I'll try to mount a bend or something to point the exhaust to a different direction and see if that helps.

The airbox have an integrated filter that I suspect rob a bit of power. Next step will be an external filter with larger filtering area, and maybe some cold air ducts on the nose cone side or sides.

The good thing with this airbox is that it can be mounted within minutes if the occasion requires. Direct fit, but I had to remove the steel bonnet/nose cone support tube.



2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was just wondering what sound insulating material you used on the intake box? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but haven't found the right thing yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I used this material in 10mm: http://www.biltema.se/sv/Bil---MC/Bil-tillbehor/Ljudisolering/Ljuddampningsplatta-2000017199/

    If I'd do it again I'd look for something thinner but eavier, such as Bitumen, as I think it would be more effective (and nicer looking too).

    ReplyDelete